Lt. Scott Richards- Commander - 978-538-6359
The Criminal Investigation Division performs all the follow-up investigative work for the Police Department. Each detective is specially educated to aid them in their ability to investigate the wide variety of crimes that can occur within a community. Detectives are trained to investigate domestic assaults, rape & sex offenders, fraud, hate crimes, financial crimes, arson, and drug investigations. This division also requires excellent skills in fingerprint and photo technology. Detectives are also assigned to deal with licensing enforcement.
Under the command of Deputy Chief Marty Cohan, detectives are assigned to follow up on all major crimes. Several units within the Criminal Investigation Division have been created to deal with certain crimes:
- Domestic Violence Unit
- Sex Offender Registry Unit
- Drug Investigations Unit
- Criminal Intelligence and Analysis Unit
- Computer Crime Unit
On certain occasions, the State Police or Federal Agencies may be requested to assist the Criminal Investigation Division.
Only you can make a difference, Call and report crime or TEXT A Tip
How to TEXT A TIP:
1. To begin your tip session, create a new text message.
2. Enter the number 847411 (tip411) as the mobile phone number or in the "to" line
3. In the message body, type the word PEABODYPD, a space, and then your crime tip information. (PEABODYPD is not case-sensitive)
4. Hit "send" to transmit the message.
5. You will receive a confirmation text from Tip411 which will start the secure text dialogue.
6. Depending on the tip, you may receive a response message from the Peabody police.